Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Vin of Venus - Paul D. Brazill, David Cranmer, and Garnett Elliott




Remember when you were in high school and your buddy who read the same kind of stuff you did came up to you in the hall between classes and shoved a book in your hand and said, "You gotta read this! It's great!"?

Well, that's what I'm doing with VIN OF VENUS. I'm shoving the e-book into your virtual hand and saying, "You gotta read this! It's great!"

As much as I love both hardboiled crime fiction and swashbuckling Sword and Planet adventure, I probably never would have thought of merging the two. Luckily, Paul D. Brazill, David Cranmer, and Garnett Elliott did think of it, and the result is this collection of several short stories and a novella that form the first part of a series I hope will run for a long time.

The title character wakes up missing his left arm, his left leg, and his memory. Some people try to help him, but naturally, sinister forces are at work, too, as Vin (that's the only name he knows himself by) tries to find out who he really is and what happened to him. Along the way he's haunted by dreams of himself living another life, one of sword-swinging adventure on the planet Venus before a catastrophe turned it into the unlivable planet it is now.

The authors do a great job of moving back and forth between the two storylines and dropping hints and clues about what the truth really is. And even more impressively, the hardboiled thriller elements and the fantasy elements are handled with equal skill, so that both ring true.

VIN OF VENUS is really entertaining, and I'm looking forward to finding out what happens next. In the meantime, if you haven't picked this one up, I highly recommend that you get in on the beginning of this saga.

4 comments:

Evan Lewis said...

Though some pieces of this great saga did indeed begin life as short stories, the book now reads like a novel. I think they deserve to be relabeled as chapters.

Paul D Brazill said...

Glad you enjoyed it James.

My contribution was minimal but it's great to see how David and Ganrnett really brought it to life.

Very good point, Evan.

Peter Brandvold said...

Oh, I'll be getting this one. Thanks for emptying my pockets again this month, James.

Sounds like something A.E. Van Vogt would have come up with. God, I loved his stuff when I was a nerdy teenager!

Pete

Garnett Elliott said...

Thanks for the great review, James. There's definitely a lot of inspiration from my highschool reading in Vin.