Sunday, August 26, 2012

Sunday Morning Bonus Pulp: Fight Stories, June 1930


The cover story in this issue is a classic Robert E. Howard boxing yarn, "The Iron Man", one of Howard's best boxing stories. But it's not the only story by a notable author in this issue, as veteran pulpster Arthur J. Burks is also on hand, as is Octavus Roy Cohen, whose career as a popular mystery novelist lasted for several decades. There are also stories by writers I haven't heard of, such as Weed Dickinson and Charles Francis Coe. Howard is possibly the only author whose fiction from FIGHT STORIES is still in print, but if you're looking for top-notch boxing fiction (how's that for a segue?), you can always check out the Fight Card series.

2 comments:

Mel Odom said...

Thanks, James!

Walker Martin said...

Charles Francis Coe was a big SATURDAY EVENING POST author and he also had a series in FIGHT STORIES about a boxer named Socker Dooley. I just checked amazon.com and they have a few of his books still in print. I'm always stumbling across his hardcovers in second hand bookstores.

I still have an original painting that was used on FIGHT STORIES in the 1940's. A physician who specializes in brain injuries was interested in buying it from me but I guess my asking price was even more than he charges for an operation...