|Bill Crider and James Reasoner, Jackson, Wyoming, 1992|
- First Prize: $1000
- Second Prize: $750
- Third Prize: $500
- Bill Crider Memorial Scholarship: Registration to Bouchercon 2020
- Open to all writers regardless of Bouchercon registration or residency
- Stories must be an original work, not previously published, submitted anonymously (as provided in these rules), and without identifiable series characters
- Theme: Deep in the Heart (relating to Texas, whether locale, characters, history, etc.) with an element of mystery or crime
Lots more info on the Bouchercon page.
Also this from Rick Ollerman regarding the convention anthology:
Attention Writers and Attendees of the 50th Anniversary Bouchercon, 2019:
YES, there will be an anthology this year! And yes, you can submit a story for consideration as long as you’re a registered conference attendee! Here’s all you need to know:
– One of Bouchercon 50’s goals is to make the largest charitable contribution in the history of the conference. All proceeds from the sale of the books will go toward that effort! LIFT, Literary Instruction For Texas, works to enhance and strengthen communities by teaching adults to read. And Bouchercon gets to help in that mission this year!
– For a theme, think no further than the conference slogan: Denim, Diamonds, and Death!
– Original stories are vastly preferred. Absolutely no reprints, please.
– Stories should be less than five thousand words. Approximately. Sort of. But you know writers.
– The book itself will once again be published by the fine folks at Down & Out Books.
– The deadline for all stories will be June 1st.
If you think you’ve got the story for the anthology, not just a story, please send it to email@example.com. We’ll have the book for sale in the book room with some signings and hopefully we’ll be able to make a meaningful contribution to LIFT as well as showcase some of the amazing talent in the Bouchercon writing community.