Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Overlooked Old Time Radio: Here Comes McBride


I enjoy old time radio programs and have ever since I started listening to syndicated reruns of THE LONE RANGER, THE SHADOW, THE GREEN HORNET and GANGBUSTERS in the early Sixties. There are a lot of shows available on-line, and I wish I had more time to listen to them. I may have to start making some time.

The most recent program I've listened to is HERE COMES McBRIDE, which my friend Brian Ritt told me about. From May of 1949, it stars Frank Lovejoy as private eye Rex McBride, who appeared in pulp stories and novels by Cleve F. Adams. I've read and enjoyed some of them but had no idea there had ever been a radio show based on the character. I don't know how many episodes there were, but only one, the first one, appears to have survived.

McBride is actually an insurance investigator based in Los Angeles in the radio version. But as the episode opens, he's in San Francisco on a case, trying to track down a valuable stolen necklace. Unfortunately, he finds a corpse in his hotel room and winds up having to solve that murder, and another that follows it, while navigating the usual troubled waters of nightclubs, crooked gamblers, suspicious cops, beautiful but maybe not trustworthy dames, etc. It's standard private eye stuff but done pretty well, and Frank Lovejoy, an actor I've always liked, is good as McBride. If they had ever made any Rex McBride movies, he would have played the character quite well, I think.

One nice thing about this program is that Cleve Adams is mentioned in the opening credits "above the title", as it were. I always like to see the guy who created something acknowledged. The episode itself was written by someone named Robert Ryf, who wrote some early cops-and-robbers TV in addition to his radio work.

This single episode of HERE COMES McBRIDE is available in several places on-line. I downloaded it here, and you can also just listen to it there if you don't want to download it. Also, SABOTAGE, the first of Adams' novels about Rex McBride is in print from Altus Press, if you want to check out the original version of the character.

2 comments:

Scott D. Parker said...

In the late 70s, my parents bought some OTR on cassette and we'd listen to them while traveling up and back from Houston to Tyler. Those were my first introductions to The Lone Ranger, Sherlock Holmes, and, of course, Abbott and Costello. I attribute those experiences as to why I love audiobooks so much.

And thanks for the link!

Anonymous said...

This OTR buff very much appreciated your article, James. According to radio historian Jim Cox, "Here Comes McBride" had a brief run in the spring of 1949. Only one episode has survived. Fortunately, Frank Lovejoy had more success as the hard boiled reporter, Randy Stone in the fine 1950-52 radio series,"Nightbeat."

Jim Meals