Sunday, December 22, 2013

Christmas Music I Like: Silent Night


During most of World War II, my father was married and already had two kids, but by the closing months of the war he was drafted anyway and wound up being sent overseas just before V-E Day. He was stationed in Austria for about a year, and as he liked to say, he strung telephone wire all over the country as part of the Signal Corps. But the one Christmas he was there, he was able to go to the little church in Oberndorf where the song "Silent Night" was written. That meant a lot to him, and I've never forgotten listening to him tell that story. A simple thing, but it means a lot to me, too. I don't know who does this version, but the song was written to be played on a guitar, so it seems appropriate. This one's for my dad.

No comments: