Sunday, December 08, 2013

Christmas Music I Like: The Little Drummer Boy/Peace on Earth - Bing Crosby and David Bowie


I believe I saw this famous duet when it first aired, too. Although I like this version, in the spirit of full disclosure I have to admit that I'm not that fond of "The Little Drummer Boy". In 1961 or '62, I don't remember which it was, my family and I went to visit relatives in West Texas for Christmas, and the 1958 version of this song by the Harry Simeone Chorale was still popular enough that it played on the radio ALL.THE.TIME. Seemed like I heard it a thousand times during those four or five days. Ever since I can't hear the song without thinking of that trip. But you can't really dislike it. It's "The Little Drummer Boy".

2 comments:

Cap'n Bob said...

I think I started hating The Twelve Days of Christmas after I heard it for the third time--when I was six. Drummer Boy isn't that high on my list, either. Oh, Holy Night might be my favorite.

Scott D. Parker said...

Very much love the Bing/Bowie version, especially when, towards the end, Bowie croons about their respective children.

Now, Chicago has my favorite version of this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0P_gxMpD3s. I can't *not* hear their horn breaks whenever I hear any other version of this song. This was the opening track of Chicago 25 back in 1998.