Saturday, November 02, 2013

Saturday Morning Western Pulp: Variety Western, March/April 1939


I'm not sure I'd ever heard of this Western pulp from Ace, and I've definitely never seen any of the issues. This one has a busy but not bad cover, and one of the featured authors is the great Harry F. Olmsted. His story here was probably a reject from Popular or Street & Smith, but I'll bet it's pretty good anyway. Almost every other author in this issue is a house-name, so I have no idea who really wrote the stories.

3 comments:

Walker Martin said...

The funny thing about VARIETY WESTERN was that most western readers in the 1930's did not want variety. They often liked a certain action packed formula which did not really leave much room for variety.

Charles Gramlich said...

Definitely a busy front cover.

Shay said...

Hey, I'd buy it just for the story titles on the cover.