Sunday, May 28, 2017

Sunday Morning Bonus Pulp: Thrilling Wonder Stories, December 1938


It's been a while since I've featured a pulp with a giant ant cover. Actually, I'm not sure I've ever had a pulp with a giant ant cover on here. But I like this one a lot, and based on the authors, a lot to like inside the issue as well: Henry Kuttner twice (once under his own name and once as by Will Garth), Edmond Hamilton, Clifford D. Simak, Stanley Weinbaum, Ray Cummings, and Eando Binder (actually Earl and Otto Binder). Looks like a fine issue. And I know what my dad would have done if he'd ever been confronted by a giant ant like that. He would have got himself some giant ant dope.

4 comments:

Adventuresfantastic said...

That's an excellent lineup.

Todd Mason said...

I seem to half-remember that Otto did most of the writing as Eando, with Earl striving eventually or alongside to establish himself as an illustrator. Certainly Otto had most of the comics writing gigs later on.

James Reasoner said...

I think you're right about the Binders, Todd. I recently picked up several Eando Binder pulp novels reprinted in Sixties paperbacks. Haven't read much by Otto other than scads of Superman stories and such.

Barry Traylor said...

I happen to have this issue, what a fun cover and the stories are pretty good also.