Thursday, May 10, 2012

Haywire




After a day of sitting in the hospital and then fighting the traffic in Dallas, a movie about a beautiful woman kickin' butt, shootin' guns, and Blowing Up Stuff Real Good sounded like just what I needed. So I watched HAYWIRE, which is about a freelance spy who has to go rogue to survive after the people she works for turn on her.

It gets sort of a mixed verdict from me. MMA fighter Gina Carano is great as the lead, maybe not classically beautiful but very appealing. She gives a decent performance and of course handles the fights very well. The film has a nice low-key but hardboiled edge to it, although it's almost a little too low-key at times. It could have used a little more craziness. My biggest problem was with the plot, which I found too hard to follow. But maybe I was just too tired.

Anyway, I liked HAYWIRE overall, and really liked Gina Carano. I'm looking forward to seeing what she does next.

3 comments:

Ron Scheer said...

Thanks for the review. We watched a doc last night about a real-life freelance espionage agent during WWII, codename GARBO. If you don't count D-Day, not a single shot is fired, but it's a fascinating story that proves again that truth can be wilder than fiction.

Cullen Gallagher said...

I had a similar reaction to HAYWIRE. The action was very well handled, and I liked the lead, but the script was garbage. I thought it winked too much at the audience -- it went through all the genre cliches very self-consciously, reducing the story to mechanics without any meaningful characters or events. If they are going to the trouble of making a good movie, why don't they at least try to make a decent storyline?

Todd Mason said...

I was hoping for at least another SALT. Ah, well. Glad I didn't pay to see it in a theater, then.