Saturday, August 20, 2022

Saturday Morning Western Pulp: Popular Western, January 1945


That's some mighty nifty gun-handlin' on this issue of POPULAR WESTERN, courtesy of artist Sam Cherry. I don't recall running across another behind-the-back shot on a Western pulp. POPULAR WESTERN ran quite a few series stories, and that's true in this issue. There's a Sheriff Blue Steele story by Syl McDowell writing as Tom Gunn, a Buffalo Billy Bates yarn by house-name Scott Carleton (possibly Chuck Martin, who has a story in this issue under his own name), and a Fiddlin' Danny tale by Ben Frank. I'll confess, I've never heard of Fiddlin' Danny and don't know a thing about him. One of my favorite authors, W.C. Tuttle, contributes a stand-alone story, as do Chuck Martin and house-names Jackson Cole and Tex Holt. There's plenty here to provide some good reading.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That guy's lucky he didn't shoot himself in the kidney.

James Reasoner said...

That would have been embarrassing.

Metralla said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

If I remember correctly Tex Holt is one of the several pseudonyms of the multifaceted Archie Joscelyn.
Best from Italy,
Tiziano Agnelli

James Reasoner said...

Thanks, Tiziano. Now that I think about it, I believe you're right about Tex Holt.