Saturday, August 27, 2022

Saturday Morning Western Pulp: Wild West Weekly, July 27, 1929


Remington Schuyler was the regular cover artist for WILD WEST WEEKLY during the late Twenties. I can't say that I'm a huge fan of his work, but I like this one pretty well. WILD WEST WEEKLY always published a lot of series and house-name stories, of course, and this issue is no exception. The lead feature for a number of years was the Billy West/Circle J series, published under the house-name Cleve Endicott. The one in this issue is actually by Phil Richards, who wrote the Kid Calvert series in WESTERN ACES that I liked a lot. Also on hand are J. Allan Dunn with a Whistlin' Kid story as by Emery Jackson; Galen C. Colin with a Lum Yates story as by Collins Hafford; a Looshus Carey story by Houston Irvine (don't know either of those names); a Ranny Kid story by Clee Woods (I've at least heard of Clee Woods and seen his name on many Western pulp TOCs), and non-series stories by Stephen Payne, Archie Joscelyn, Paul S. Powers (twice, as by Philip F. Deere and Kent Bennett), and Gip Akin, whoever he was.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wonder if the subject of the book listed here under, is the same Clee Woods that in a catalogue of copyright entries of the thirties appears to be a resident of Tyrone, N.M.
Clee Woods: A Man and His Fiction,
by Connie S. Ricci · 1988

James Reasoner said...

It's bound to be the same Clee Woods. I can't find any copies of that book available on-line, or I'd be tempted to order it. I'm always interested in biographies of pulp authors. Woods had a long career. Started selling in the mid-Twenties, and his final novel was published in 1980.