Sunday, December 31, 2017

Sunday Morning Bonus Pulp: Pep Stories, January 1930


For the last pulp cover of the year on this blog, something appropriate for New Year's Eve, I hope. I can't tell you anything about the stories or authors in this one, since the cover is all that's currently available on the Fictionmags Index, but in looking at the contents listed for other issues of PEP STORIES from that era, the only authors I recognize are Robert Leslie Bellem, C.S. Montanye, and Jack Woodford. This probably isn't a pulp I'd read, necessarily, but that's an eye-catching cover.

There'll be many more pulp covers to come on this blog, I hope, and plenty of other things, too. I posted less this year than in any year since 2008, mostly due to lack of time and mental energy. I wish I'd been able to do more Overlooked Movies and TV posts, but there were long stretches where I just didn't watch anything suitable for that series. I didn't review as many new books as I would have liked, either, but at least I kept up fairly well with Forgotten Books (although I fudged some of those by reading novellas). I'll have my usual yearly wrap-up post later today, but I figured I'd go ahead and do a blogging wrap-up now. I'm still enjoying it and plan to be around for a good long while. Everyone have a good last day of 2017!

5 comments:

Bolles Fan 1 said...

The cover artist is the fabulous Enoch Bolles.

Rick Robinson said...

Same to you, James, and a healthful and productive 2018.

James Reasoner said...

Bolles Fan 1,
I thought this might be Bolles' work after reading about him in THE ART OF THE PULPS, but I wasn't sure. Thanks for the confirmation.

Rick,
Happy New Year to you as well.

Bolles Fan 1 said...

Your post inspires me to make a post on my Enoch Bolles blog site on an even earlier version of the ‘girl in the glass’ theme.

James Reasoner said...

Looks like this is the site you mention:

http://enochbolles.blogspot.com/

Lots of good stuff there. Thanks for the heads-up! I'll add it to my blogroll. Always room for a site devoted to pulp art.