Sunday, December 16, 2018

Sunday Morning Bonus Pulp: Astounding Science Fiction, January 1941


I like the covers Hubert Rogers did for ASTOUNDING SCIENCE FICTION. This one is certainly eye-catching and effective. The lead story is the first part of a three-part serial, "Sixth Column" by Anson MacDonald, better known, of course, as Robert A. Heinlein. I haven't reread anything by Heinlein in years. I ought to. Other authors in this issue are Nelson S. Bond, Eric Frank Russell, Manly Wade Wellman, and L. Ron Hubbard writing as Kurt von Rachen.

3 comments:

Hedgeguard said...

Interestingly, although that cover appears on the issue containing the first of three parts of the serial, the event illustrated doesn't appear until the conclusion of the third part of the story. Great cover, of course.

James Reasoner said...

It's been at least 50 years since I read "Sixth Column". Think I'll go see if I have a copy of the paperback on my shelves . . .

Walker Martin said...

A few years ago the Windy City Pulp convention had a big exhibit of Hubert Rogers' art. I've heard that Doug Ellis is working on a book about Rogers and his art.