Friday, December 21, 2018

Forgotten Books: Longarm and the Coldest Town in Hell - Tabor Evans (Peter Brandvold)


I was looking for a Western set around Christmas time when I came across this entry in the long-running series featuring Deputy U.S. Marshal Custis Long. LONGARM AND THE COLDEST TOWN IN HELL finds ol' Custis knocked out and thrown off a train traveling across the snowy landscape of Dakota Territory on Christmas Eve. He narrowly survives without freezing to death because he's rescued by a Russian homesteader and the man's beautiful daughter. He was heading for a small town to investigate the murders of several lawmen, and when he finally reaches his destination after that almost-deadly delay, he finds that a gang of outlaws has treed the town. And of course, to make things even more difficult, there's a blizzard going on . . .

A number of different authors wrote as "Tabor Evans", the house-name under which all the Longarm novels were published. (Heck, I wrote nearly 50 of 'em myself.) The author of this book is none other than the Scourge of the North Country, Mean Pete Brandvold his own self.

You know what to expect when you read a Brandvold novel: interesting characters, a vividly described setting, and lots and lots of great action. LONGARM AND THE COLDEST TOWN IN HELL delivers all of that and more. I don't think anybody is better than Brandvold at depicting extreme winter weather and making it a vital part of a book. The fact that it's Christmas doesn't play a large part in the plot, but it's definitely there.

The biggest thing this book has going for it is Longarm himself. He's a great character, tough and smart and funny and able to carry a series for several decades and more than 400 books. I always enjoyed writing about him, and before that, I enjoyed reading about him. (I was a fan of the series from its beginning in the late Seventies.) I had a great time reading this one, too.

7 comments:

George said...

Great choice. I have dozens of LONGARMs yet to read and this is one of them. I'm working on acquiring all the LONGARMs you wrote. I have about 40 of your 50!

Rick Robinson said...

George, why not go for all 400?

Gerard Saylor said...

Heck, I wrote nearly 50 of 'em myself.

Only 50?

James Reasoner said...

Yeah, I think the actual number is 47. Maybe 48.

Consider Law said...

I'm an avid reader, and every 5th book I read has to be a Longarm. The ultimate comfort read...would love some reommendations on favorite Reasoner Longarms. ( So far, I've concentrated on the Cameron's).

James Reasoner said...

In no particular order, my favorites of the ones I wrote are LONGARM AND THE BLOODY RELIC, LONGARM AND THE VOODOO QUEEN, LONGARM AND THE YUKON QUEEN, LONGARM AND THE BRAZOS DEVIL, LONGARM IN THE VALLEY OF SIN, LONGARM AND THE GOLDEN GHOST, LONGARM AND THE RESTLESS REDHEAD, LONGARM AND THE PINE BOX PAYOFF, and LONGARM AND THE SAND PIRATES.

Gerard Saylor said...

I wish I had this list over the weekend. I visited a large used book store with a nice collection of both LONGARM and SLOCUM novels.