Monday, December 24, 2018

Monday Memories: A Christmas Memory


Remember what I said a couple of days ago about the kid on that RANCH ROMANCES cover reminding me of me? Well, now you can see why. Yes, that's me, wearing my Bat Masterson outfit. I know this picture was taken on Christmas Day, and I'm pretty sure the year was 1959, which would make me six years old. I'm also certain it was taken in the living room of my Aunt Annie's house in Blanket, Texas. I'd gotten the outfit as a Christmas present that morning and insisted on wearing it when we went to Blanket. I was a big fan of the TV show starring Gene Barry. I also had a Kit Carson outfit and numerous toy guns based on guns used in various Western TV shows. So it's not the least bit surprising that I turned out like I did.

2 comments:

Peter Brandvold said...

This probably comes as no surprise, but I think I was the northern version of you, James. I just ate more lutefisk.

James Reasoner said...

Paul Bishop posted this comment, but Blogger ate it somehow:

"I'm a bit younger than you (just a bit), so for me it was the Man From U.N.C.L.E. guns, the James Bond attache case, toys from various other 60s spy shows, and my treasured official Illya Kuryakin black turtleneck (back then I was as blond as Illya. Now I'm as gray as David McCallum). I remember, I made my own shoulder holster rig to wear over my official turtleneck, which I insisted on wearing only with black jeans. Back in the day, I used to 'make' a lot of my own spy related equipment out of thin air, baling wire, and imagination, as did a lot of other kids...That type of play is a lost art today..."