Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Tuesday's Overlooked TV: We've Got Each Other

If you don't remember this sitcom, it's probably because it ran for only 13 episodes in 1977 and '78. I haven't seen it since then, it doesn't seem to be available on DVD, and there are no clips from it on YouTube. I found a few photos of the two stars, but that's all.

I remember it fondly, though, probably because one of my favorite character actors, Oliver Clark, got to play one of his few leading roles. Clark was Mr. Herd, one of Dr. Bob Hartley's patients on THE BOB NEWHART SHOW, and Beverly Archer played supporting roles in many TV series during the Seventies and Eighties. You may recognize their faces even if you didn't know their names. In this series they played a married couple where the husband had some sort of job where he worked at home (I believe he wrote copy for a sporting goods catalog or something like that, but I could be 'way off) and the wife worked as a photographer's assistant. Another great character actor, Tom Poston, played the photographer. The show was created, written, and directed by some of the people who worked on THE BOB NEWHART SHOW, and I remember the episodes being pretty sharp and funny in the gentler, subtler way that television had back in those days. WE'VE GOT EACH OTHER didn't run long enough to achieve any sort of greatness or even leave much of a mark at all, but I liked it.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wikipedia says he "writes for a mail order catalogue" so you're not way off at all.

Clark was also memorable (ironically, perhaps) as "John Doe #6" on St. Elsewhere.

Jeff M.

Dan_Luft said...

I remember Oliver for playing several hapless criminals on Barney Miller.

Todd Mason said...

Well...the subtler way of the better tv of the '70s. There was absolutely nothing subtle about certain other '70s series (many very popular indeed), and often that's why I found them so annoying.

pattinase (abbott) said...

I do remember it and I liked it because for once the people seemed like the neighbors next door. How often does Hollywood cast actors like this. And if it does, obviously people don't watch.

Cap'n Bob said...

For once someone mentions a show I'd really forgotten. Bravo! But I remember, now that you bring it up, that I did watch this show back then, but probably only a few episodes. I was busy saving the world in those days.

lose belly fat for men said...

Thank you for this publication