Sunday, February 03, 2013

Sunday Morning Bonus Pulp: Sea Stories, May 1927


That's just a pretty cover on this pulp. I also like the line "Once a reader, always a reader". Very true, at least in my case. SEA STORIES ran for 118 issues from 1922 to 1930, so this issue is sort of in the middle of that stretch. Murray Leinster is probably the best-known author from this issue, which also includes stories by Bob Du Soe, George Allan England, A. Hyatt Verril, and S.B.H. Hurst, all of them pulpsters of some popularity. I don't think I've ever seen an issue of SEA STORIES, but I'll bet there were some good stories in its pages.

3 comments:

Walker Martin said...

SEA STORIES is one of my favorite magazine titles and I have most of the issues. Not too many collectors have compiled sets because it is getting hard to find copies.

The letter column was very impressive, often containing correspondence from former sea captains and mates about their ships and voyages in the days of sail. It's a fine example of the type of pulp that was aimed at an adult market.

George Allan England was my favorite author in the magazine. He had a long running series about a crazy sea captain named Leonides Tripp. Captain Tripp was retired and told funny long stories about his sea adventures. His experiences with women were not pleasant and he avoided them at all costs. The covers were great.

Charles Gramlich said...

Looks exciting. I feel some sea story reading coming on. Maybe a Hornblower.

Sean McLachlan said...

Lovely cover. The Pulp Magazines Project has one issue online at
http://www.pulpmags.org/sea_stories_page.html

Thanks for your input, Walker. I'll have to take a look at the letters section!