Friday, August 21, 2020

A Middle of the Night Music and Pages Post: What Now My Love - Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass


I've posted this song before, but here it is again because I heard it on the radio and it was one of my favorite songs when I was in high school. I was that weird kid who liked easy listening music as much as rock. Rock was what I listened to in the car and when I was with my friends, but I had a good FM radio in my bedroom that I got for Christmas one year, so I usually had an easy listening station playing (FM in those days was mostly easy listening stations) while I sat in my recliner and read paperbacks and comic books.

Anyway, when I heard it on the radio, I had one of those odd solipsistic moments when I wondered if everything that's happened in the past 53 years is just an extended fantasy sequence, and it's actually still 1967 and I'm still sitting in my room listening to Herb Alpert and thinking about what might be coming in the future. I don't really believe that, mind you . . . but I can see the appeal of it.

I was on a nice little run with the writing for a few days, averaging around 15 pages a day, but then real life kept me busy all day and I haven't gotten anything written the past two days. That will probably continue for another day or two. I always get antsy when I can't write, but sometimes that's the way things work out.

Assuming any of this is actually real.

4 comments:

August West said...

He always had great album covers.

David Cranmer said...

Such pleasing music, and, yes, those too cool for school album covers.

Spike said...

I listen to Herb Alpert all the time. He is still recording great music though his sixties stuff is his best, in my opinion. Appealed very broadly at that time, was not “square” by any stretch.

His riffs are still sampled by rappers, apparently.

Howard said...

Yeah, I still love Herb Alpert. The Lonely Bull! And Bert Kaempfert too. Wonderland by Night! A lot of great stuff on those easy listening stations back in the day.