Monday, July 20, 2020

Who's Who in New Pulp - Ron Fortier, ed.


THE ETERNAL PULPS

Since the days of Homer, people have naturally loved a good story. From the oral traditions of heroic sagas all the way to the traveling minstrels of the Middle Ages and the Penny Dreadfuls and Dime Novels of a burgeoning new continent. People have always enjoyed action adventure yarns. Then in the 1930s they evolved as garishly painted monthly magazines printed on rough, cheap paper and they were christened the Pulps.

Today their heritage continues in both the hundreds of paperbacks that entertain the masses as “populace fare.” There’s nothing high-brow here, just plain old-fashioned entertainment as a new 21st century generation has picked up the mantle to continue those amazing tales. In these pages you will find….The 222 Writers, Artists, Editors, & Publishers Who together are — THE WHO’S WHO Of NEW PULP!

(I got my copy of this today and, while I haven't read it cover to cover yet, I've had a great time already just looking through it. In the spirit of full disclosure, I have an entry in it myself since I've written a few things that fall directly into the New Pulp category and probably 95%--or more--of my entire career shows a definite pulp influence. This volume is great because it's already introduced me to writers whose work I need to check out, and in many cases it's nice to be able to put a face with the names I already know. I really need to read more New Pulp, and this book is going to inspire me to do so. Highly recommended!)

No comments: