Saturday, July 04, 2020

Saturday Morning Western Pulp: Wild West Weekly, July 4, 1936


Although it doesn't have a patriotic-themed cover, this is the issue of WILD WEST WEEKLY dated July 4, 1936. Behind that cover by H.W. Scott, which I like quite a bit, are the usual assortment of series characters readers found in this pulp: a Silver Kid story by T.W. Ford, a Johnny Forty-five story by Paul S. Powers writing as Andrew A. Griffin, a Pete Rice story by Ben Conlon writing as Austin Gridley, a Risky McKee story by Norman W. Hay writing as William A. Todd, and (Wait a minute! How'd they get in here?) stand-alone stories by Lee Bond writing as Nelse Anderson and George C. Henderson. A person could get exhausted just trying to keep up with all the series characters in WILD WEST WEEKLY, but the readers seemed to have loved it for a long time. I've enjoyed all the issues I've read.

1 comment:

James Reasoner said...

Spike commented (and I accidentally deleted):

"Wild West is always a relaxing pleasure to read.

Though there was someone he wasn’t a fan, per an article I am reading about the last days of WW2 in Europe. Despite the trying times, General Eisenhower read to relax. From one of the letters to his wife “I was wide awake very early with nothing decent to read. The Wild Wests I have been reading are terrible. I could write better ones left-handed.”

Of course, he could be refer to westerns in general but I like picturing Ike, on the verge of victory, trying to unwind by reading a Sonny Tabor story."

Sorry for the foul-up, Spike.