Saturday, May 16, 2020

Saturday Morning Western Pulp: All Western Magazine, October 1936



This is a pulp that I own and read recently. That's my copy in the scan. ALL WESTERN MAGAZINE, and for that matter, the other pulps published by Dell, are little remembered these days, but I’ve read several issues of ALL WESTERN and found them to be very solid. The cover on this issue was painted by Arthur Mitchell, who did most of the covers for this pulp.

The issue leads off with a novella by Tom Roan, “The Two-Gun Sheriff of Painted Rock”. Roan was most prolific in the Western pulps from Popular Publications, but he appeared in others as well. This yarn begins with a couple of owlhoots bushwhacking a rider who they believe to be the new sheriff on his way to tame the wild town of Painted Rock. Their unfortunate mistake sets in motion a chain of violent events as the new sheriff clashes with the crooked saloon owner who runs the town. It’s a stereotypical plot, but Roan keeps things moving very fast and has a good touch with an action scene. He’s never been one of my favorite Western pulpsters, but he’s dependably entertaining, and so is this novella.

Miles Overholt sounds like a pseudonym, but evidently that was his real name. He had a long, prolific career as a pulpster stretching from 1909 to the early Fifties, writing a variety of genres early on and then concentrating on Westerns. His story in this issue, “Gunsmoke Money”, is the first thing I recall reading by him. The protagonist is a young, drifting cowboy who’s forced to kill an hombre trying to steal his horse. The dying man asks him to deliver some money that’s in his saddlebags, and the cowboy’s promise to do so lands him in the middle of a range hog’s attempt to take over a beautiful young woman’s ranch. Nothing new there, but Overholt spins his yarn in such a breezy, fast-moving fashion, and his protagonist is so likable, that I really enjoyed this story and will be keeping my eyes open for more of his work. As far as I can tell, he never wrote any novels, just short fiction.

I’ve read a number of stories by Hapsburg Liebe over the years. His contribution to this issue is the short story “The Britches Kid”, which finds a prodigal son returning home to help save his father’s ranch from yet another range hog. It’s very different from the Miles Overholt story with a similar plot, and not as well written as Overholt’s story, to be honest, but several interesting, offbeat characters make this one worthwhile.

Charles M. Martin, who also frequently wrote as Chuck Martin, was a very prolific Western pulpster who worked as a real cowboy in his younger years. His work is heavy on pseudo-Western dialect and standard plots, but he wrote good action scenes and kept his yarns moving right along. His story in this issue, “Casa Grande Bullets”, find two Arizona Rangers trying to arrest a couple of bank robbers, and the ensuing shootout results in a vengeance quest that leads across the border into Mexico. It was entertaining enough to keep me reading but pretty forgettable at the same time.

The novelette “Lightning in Levis” is by Harry F. Olmsted, one of my favorite Western pulp authors. Some have claimed that Olmsted farmed out all of his work and never wrote anything on his own, but I don’t believe that. I don’t doubt that he might have gotten some help from other authors from time to time. That’s common among high-producing writers, and although I haven’t counted them, I read somewhere that Olmsted is credited with more than 1200 stories. The voice in the ones I’ve read is pretty consistent. That said, the tone in “Lightning in Levis”, which features a number of colorfully named characters and a convoluted plot, seems a little goofier than the usual Olmsted yarn. So I guess it’s possible somebody else contributed to this one, or maybe Harry was just feeling a little more whimsical than usual when he wrote it. At any rate, it’s an entertaining tale that finds the Wild Bunch (Butch, Sundance, and the rest of the boys) clearing their names after being framed for some robberies and killings they didn’t commit.

Arthur H. Carhart (sometimes billed as Arthur Hawthorne Carhart) is a name I’ve seen on a lot of Western pulps, but I don’t recall ever reading by him until now. “A Streak of Powder” is the story of two rival ranchers trying to capture the same outlaw so they can use the bounty on him against each other. It’s not a bad plot, but the writing is very bland and never hooked me. I finished this one, but it took some effort to do so.

Carson Mowre is another author I haven’t read before. His story “Timber Foot” is about a ferry operated by an ex-outlaw who helps other owlhoots escape from the law, all while waiting to take vengeance on an old enemy. It’s an intriguing idea, and Mowre does a fairly good job with it. The twist ending is pretty predictable but the story overall is enjoyable.

I like S. Omar Barker’s Western poetry and non-fiction, but his humorous short stories don’t appeal to me. “Two Tough Tails”, in this issue, is part of his Boosty Peckleberry series, which involves cowboys with colorful names sitting around the bunkhouse telling shaggy dog stories. I didn’t care for it.

There are some good stories here from Roan, Olmsted, Overholt, and Mowre, but taken as a whole, this is probably the weakest issue of ALL WESTERN I’ve read so far. Still, I’m glad I read it, of course. I’ve never read a Western pulp that didn’t provide some entertaining yarns.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I found the following item about Miles Overholt:
1925, Meddler (The); story by Miles Overholt, continuity by W. Scott Darling, directed by Arthur Rosson. 5 20056 reels.
Best,
Tiziano Agnelli

James Reasoner said...

I wonder if it was based on a pulp story or an original. There's no story called "The Meddler" attributed to Overholt in the Fictionmags Index, so either it had a different title, it was published in an issue that hasn't been indexed yet, or it was written directly for Hollywood.

Spike said...

Barker, affectionately know as SOB, wrote some young adult modern combos novels in the early 60s. They we’re pretty good for what they were (at least the 3 I read).

Anonymous said...

I've find the following link about Miles Overholt:
https://mailtribune.com/archive/mail-tribune-100-04-22-2018-110304630

Moreover:
In a Spanish book:
Cartelera cinematográfica, 1920-1929 - Pag. 259

El vagabundo generoso (The Meddler). Norteamericana. Dir. Arthur Rosson. Arg. Isadore Bernstein y W. Scott Darling basado en relato original de Miles Overholt.
That means based on an original story by Miles Overholt.

Best,
Tiziano Agnelli

Anonymous said...

About Carson Mowre, I've find in the Writer's Monthly, 1935 the following sentence:
Carson Mowre is a Montana Man and a knows the West. He's also an experienced editor
who knows what he want. He was an editor for Dell of: All Detective, Western Romances,
Terence X. O'Leary War Birds and other pulp magazines.

Best,
Tiziano Agnelli

James Reasoner said...

As always, many thanks for that info. I was thinking that Mowre had edited pulps but I didn't look him up to be sure.

Solarpons said...

I have the June 1937 10 Story Western with Miles Overholt 'Half an Outlaw" Short story.
Cover story "Call for a Gun Partner" by Harry Olmested.

James Reasoner said...

Seems like almost every issue of 10 STORY WESTERN had an Olmsted story in it. I'm going to be on the lookout for Overholt's stories from now on.