Sunday, May 17, 2020

Sunday Morning Bonus Pulp: Adventure, April 1947


I tell you, this is the way I feel a lot of the time these days: ready to snarl and start bashing things with a shovel. By 1947, ADVENTURE may have been long past its glory days as the top pulp in the business, but it still had some great covers, such as this one by Peter Stevens, and some top-notch authors, represented in this issue by E. Hoffmann Price, Jim Kjelgaard, F.R. Buckley, Robert E. Pinkerton, S. Omar Barker, and Franklin Gregory.

5 comments:

Spike said...

I am always surprised to see Kjelgaard’s name on a pulp. I associate him with Big Red and dog novels I read as a child. At that time I preferred him to Terhune, except for Terhune’s Grudge Mountain which I read a half dozen times (my boyhood copy had a dog title that I can’t recall).

Rick Robinson said...

Spike, I think the title you're looking for is DOG OF THE HIGH SIERRAS.

Spike said...

Thank you, Rick. My memory is not what is used to be and that edition is long gone.

A few years back I was in Oakland, NJ for work and I went to Sunnybank, Terhune’s former estate that is now a park. Saw Lad’s, Gray Dawn’s and other dogs graves. Grudge Mountain is certainly the “pulpiest” thing Terhune wrote with a haunted mountain, two fisted hero and hidden treasure. And Gray Dawn.

Anonymous said...

Talkin' about dogs, have you ever tried Fred Gipson's "Old Yeller" and "Savage Sam"? Good yarns!

Best from Italy,
Tiziano Agnelli

James Reasoner said...

GRUDGE MOUNTAIN sounds really good. I may have to try to find a copy. I don't think I've ever read anything by Terhune. Tony Tollin is a big Terhune fan, and several years ago at Robert E. Howard Days he talked to me quite a bit about Terhune while we were sitting in the pavilion next to the Howard House.

I've read both of those Fred Gipson books (and seen the movies). I've also read some of his stories in the Western pulps. A publisher once talked to me about editing a collection of Gipson's pulp stories, but nothing ever came of it.