Friday, May 15, 2020

Forgotten Books: Brood of the Witch-Queen - Sax Rohmer



When I was in high school, I read and enjoyed all of Sax Rohmer’s Fu Manchu novels, but I’ve dipped into the rest of his work only occasionally since then. In the mood to read something by him, I picked up BROOD OF THE WITCH-QUEEN, a stand-alone novel originally published as a nine-part serial in PREMIER MAGAZINE (a publication I’m not familiar with) in 1914 and ’15 before being published in novel form in 1918. So it was written pretty early in Rohmer’s career.

Although he’s best known for Fu Manchu, of course, Rohmer also used a lot of Egyptian themes in his work, including this novel. As the novel opens, co-protagonist Robert Cairn is still in college at Oxford, where he suspects fellow student Antony Ferrara of being up to no good. Ferrara is the adopted son of Dr. Michael Ferrara, who happens to be the best friend of Cairn’s father, noted Egyptologist Dr. Bruce Cairn, who is pretty much the co-protagonist of this book. The elder Ferrara and Cairn explored many Egyptian mysteries of an occult nature before Ferrara’s death. Oh, and in addition to the adopted son, Ferrara also has a beautiful young ward, Myra Duquesne. Robert Cairn is in love with Myra and is jealous of Antony, who has his eye on her as well. Antony’s motives are much more sinister, though, Robert believes.

Well, spooky stuff ensues. Disembodied hands choke folks to death. Venomous spiders scuttle around. People crawl through tunnels and explore hidden chambers inside pyramids. The word “sarcophagus” is used frequently. And of course there’s a final showdown between the forces of good and evil.

BROOD OF THE WITCH-QUEEN’s origins as a magazine serial make for a very episodic novel, but luckily, it’s a fast-moving, entertaining one. Yes, the writing is lurid, even melodramatic at times, but that’s never bothered me. I’ll read a good shudder tale any time. The novel’s biggest drawback for me is the villain. While Antony Ferrara is pretty despicable, he never really dominates the action the way I expected him to. But then, Robert Cairn, whose nerves are shakier than anybody this side of an H.P. Lovecraft protagonist, isn’t a dominating hero, either. What we’re left with is a book with a lot of very well-done creepy scenes that never quite comes together as an adventure yarn. I’m glad I read it, and it’s left me in the mood to read more of Rohmer’s work in the fairly near future, but based on those long-ago memories of the Fu Manchu novels, it’s probably the weakest thing I’ve read by him so far.

1 comment:

Clobdell3 said...

James, I have to agree with you about Brood of the Witch Queen. I felt it was a number of great scenes that didn't really hang together as a story and not caring about any of the male characters. Like you, I enjoyed all the Fu Manchu stories, and what I consider spin-offs like Sumuru, but have less luck with his other novels, like Bat-Wing that just bored me. I liked Dope, but have a weakness for the early "drug scare" novels and evils of opium.