Saturday, February 29, 2020

Saturday Morning Western Pulp: Western Action, June 1940


That's a nice dramatic cover on this issue of WESTERN ACTION. I don't know the artist, but I like his work here. Inside are two stories by Charles N. Heckelmann, one as himself and one under the house-name Mat Rand, a story by house-name Cliff Campbell, and three well-known Western pulpsters, Wayne D. Overholser, Stephen Payne, and C. William Harrison, to go along with lesser-known authors Clem Barton, Dick Robson, and Duane Yarnell. Some of those may be house-names, too, for all I know.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It seems to me that YARNELL, DUANE (Alvin) (1914-1996) who was a prolific pulpster (most of all sport stories) isn't a psudonym.
He wrote a couple of mysteries too:
Mantrap, Crest 1957
Murder Bait, Crest 1958
plus
The Winning Basket, The World Publishing Co. 1948
Through Forest and stream, Adeventure in the Mountains, The World Publishing Co. 1949
Best from Italy,
Tiziano Agnelli

Unknown said...

I never get tired of these. THANKS for sharing!

James Reasoner said...

Tiziano, I think you're right about Duane Yarnell. Those two Crest books of his look good enough that I ordered copies of them!