Wednesday, February 26, 2020

Commando: Hunt the Killer - Eric Hebden


Down, down, down screamed the Hurribombers, their pilots letting the bombs go only at the last possible second. Their target was a chateau which sheltered Brigadefuhrer Helmut Groot, the Nazi killer whose very name put shivers down the spine of all who heard it.

And in case the bombs failed, Captain Steve Simpson and a small band of men were playing a desperate game of “Hunt the Killer”. They all hated Groot so much they were praying the bombs would miss so they could settle the score in their own way.

(A friend of mine who's read a lot more of this series than I have recommended issues with art by Gordon C. Livingstone. This is one such issue, and I can see why my friend recommended it. The art is excellent, reminding me at times of John Severin and at others of Neal Adams. And the script by long-time COMMANDO author Eric Hebden is fast-paced and interesting. The edition I read is actually a reprint. This story was published originally in 1968, in the early days of the COMMANDO series, under the title "The Worst Enemy". This is acknowledged inside the book, so the publisher isn't trying to pass it off as a new one. But it was new to me, and I enjoyed it quite a bit.)

2 comments:

Gary Dobbs/Jack Martin said...

Alan Hebden is known for a lot of great work in British comics, and if you ever manage to get hold of some of the stuff he did for Battle Picture Weekly then I'm sure you'll love it. Major Easy is one of my all time favourite comic characters and there is a graphic novel collection available of these excellent stories. Thank you James for featuring so many of these great British comic books....we don't really do superheros (with a few exceptions) over here but British comics are awesome.

James Reasoner said...

I just ordered a copy of that collection. Thanks for the recommendation.