Wednesday, February 19, 2020

Commando: Ramsey's Raiders - Ferg Handley


They were a motley bunch - two Scotsmen, one Englishman, one Welshman, one Irishman and an Australian. Led by the unconventional Captain James Ramsey, they were known as the Special Raiding Force, and their job was to operate behind enemy lines in North Africa. They wrote their own rules, and their specially armed jeeps packed a real punch.

They were good at their job - very good - and the Germans had every reason to fear Ramsey's Raiders!

When I was a kid, I loved the TV series THE RAT PATROL, as well as the paperback tie-in novels based on it. When I was writing my World War II series years ago, that was a big influence on parts of those novels, as well. As you can see from the description above, this Commando comic, RAMSEY’S RAIDERS, uses a similar premise, and does a great job of it as far as I’m concerned. Written by Ferg Handley, with art by Ian Kennedy, I found it to be a very enjoyable yarn. There are several more Ramsey’s Raiders stories in the Commando series, and I plan to read them all.

1 comment:

Gary Dobbs/Jack Martin said...

I've got the recent graphic novel version that collects two Raiders stories, blows them up to full size and colourises them. They're great.