Saturday, September 07, 2019

Saturday Morning Western Pulp: Best Western Novels, January 1949


I think the expression on that girl's face may be more dangerous than the six-shooter in the cowboy's hand. This is another great cover from Norman Saunders. There are only three stories in this issue of BEST WESTERN NOVELS, two from top-notch authors Dean Owen and William Heuman and one from Lee Floren, a writer I've come to appreciate more in recent years even though I still wouldn't call him a favorite. I love novella-length Western yarns, so I'm sure I'd enjoy this issue.

4 comments:

gerry said...

She very much resembles Jane Russell from The Outlaw

Stephen Mertz said...

It would be interesting to know your reservations about Lee Floren & your reassessment. For a time in pulps & paperbacks he seemed to be everywhere & yet I've never once read a knowledgeable consideration of his work.

James Reasoner said...

Gerry,
She does indeed look like Jane Russell.

Steve,
I have a Lee Floren book fairly high in the stack to read and will talk more about his work when I get to it. For the moment, though, I've found his pulp work and early paperbacks pretty readable, but the first things of his I read were some of his later novels when he seems to have lost a step. They're not terrible, just very flat.

Stephen Mertz said...

That was my reaction.