Saturday, December 09, 2023

Saturday Morning Western Pulp: Dime Western Magazine, February 1939


I don't own this one, but that's a heck of a cover and I'd read it if I had a copy. I don't know who did the art. Tom Lovell, maybe? But there's no doubt the line-up of authors is great: Walt Coburn, Harry F. Olmsted (three times, twice as himself and once with a Tensleep Maxon story as by Bart Cassidy), Ray Nafziger, Cliff Farrell, Robert E. Mahaffey, and Lloyd Eric Reeve. That's an All-Star bunch of Western pulpsters. And yet, it's just another issue of DIME WESTERN. What an era that was.

2 comments:

Sai S said...

The cover could be by Lovell, but I'm leaning towards it being the work of R. G. Harris, who often used his wife as a model for the lady on the cover.

James Reasoner said...

Yes, it does look like Harris's work. I'd forgotten about him. Definitely possible.