Sunday, December 31, 2023

The Wrap Up


I think we all know there was no shortage of terrible things happening this year, but why dwell on the negative? I’m going to try to look at a few positive things.

First and foremost, I’m still here, and Livia, Shayna, and Joanna are still putting up with me. This day and age, that’s something to feel good about.

A few days ago, I celebrated the 47th anniversary of my first fiction sale. Most writing careers don’t last that long, so I’m very happy to still be turning out the pages, even though there are fewer of them than there used to be. I also think I’m still writing with a fair degree of competence. I have a legitimate shot at being in this crazy business for half a century, and that seems pretty good to me.

I also read a lot of good books. Here are my ten favorites for the year, alphabetical by author:

PUNK & OTHER STORIES, Cleve F. Adams
THE AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF MATTHEW SCUDDER, Lawrence Block
THE ART OF RON LESSER, VOLUME 1: DEADLY DAMES AND SEXY SIRENS, Robert Deis, Bill Cunningham, and J. Kingston Pierce, eds.
SPILL THE JACKPOT, A.A. Fair (Erle Stanley Gardner)
MALIBU BURNING, Lee Goldberg
LORD OF A SHATTERED LAND, Howard Andrew Jones
DARK AVENGER: THE STRANGE SAGA OF THE SHADOW, Will Murray
THE EYE OF THE TIGER, Wilbur Smith
THE NOVELIZERS, David Spencer
THE GRAVES IN THE MEADOW, Manning Lee Stokes

There were plenty of other excellent books I could have included. It was difficult narrowing the list down to ten. If you check the posts for each month you’ll find lots of other good reading that I recommend.

I plan to write about the same amount in 2024 but I hope there’ll be a few more books with my name on them. We’ll see. And I certainly intend to keep reading as much as I can, although my attention span isn’t what it once was and that makes it a challenge to get through longer books. So I don’t really foresee a lot changing, which actually makes me a little nervous because life has a habit of throwing curveballs at all of us. As always, we’ll have to wait and see what happens, but I wish all of you out there the very best for the New Year.

5 comments:

larry gebert said...

Here is to a happy and happy New Year James.

Paul said...

Thank you James for your blog. Happy New Year.

Lee Goldberg said...

I'm delighted that MALIBU BURNING made your list! I'm very flattered.
I don't keep a list of books I read each year... maybe I will in 2024.

Jerry House said...

May 2024 turn out to be all you hope for -- only more so.

Anonymous said...

Impressive as ever. Have a prosperous and healthy 2024.