Sunday, December 24, 2023

Sunday Morning Bonus Pulp: Argosy All-Story Weekly, December 25, 1926


This is the Christmas issue of ARGOSY ALL-STORY WEEKLY from 1926. The cover is by Raymond Thayer, an artist whose work I don't know. Most of the author names inside are unfamiliar as well. There are a few obvious Christmas stories: "The Town That Believed in Santa Claus" by A.T. Locke, "A Grown-Up Christmas" by Richard F. Merrifield, and "The Holly King" by F. St. Mars, plus a couple of Christmas poems. There are also stories by Fred MacIsaac, Frank Richardson Pierce, and C.C. Waddell, best remembered today for collaborating with Carroll John Daly on the novel TWO-GUN GERTA. I doubt if I would have gone out of my way to read this one, had I seen it on the newsstand in 1926, but I'm sure there were plenty of people who did since ARGOSY, in all its various incarnations, was a very successful magazine for a long time.

3 comments:

Hard Bitten Action said...

Merry Christmas James!

Anonymous said...

James: I've gone about as far as I can, for now, in explaining Waddell's (actually Waddle's) career in the new edition of "Two-Gun Gerta". I think you'll find it interesting.

David Laurence Wilson

James Reasoner said...

Thanks, David. Your introductions are always fascinating. Worth the price of the book, I'd say!