Wednesday, December 27, 2023

The Annual December 27 Post


Regular readers of this blog know that today marks the anniversary of my first fiction sale, back on December 27, 1976. 47 years ago today, a number that makes me shake my head in disbelief. I’m sure that back in 1976 I hoped I would still be writing and selling almost half a century later, but I’m equally certain that I wouldn’t have bet money on it.

But here we are, and if you want to read the background of that first sale, you can find it in my original post on the subject from 2004. I noticed when looking up that post that there are comments from Todd Mason and Juri Nummelin, who are still good friends and regular commenters here all these years later. I’m thankful for that continuity.

I’m thankful as well for everyone who’s contributed to me being able to stay in this business for so long, including all the fine editors and writers I’ve worked with over the years, as well as all the readers who have ever sat down and cracked open one of my books. And of course I couldn’t have done any of it without Livia, Shayna, and Joanna. My thanks and love to all of you. I’m at the point where I’m genuinely curious to see how long I can keep this up.

By the way, that isn't the exact model of typewriter I used in those early days, but I typed thousands of pages on one very much like it.

4 comments:

Regan MacArthur said...

Congratulations, sir. Wishing for many more.

Vladimir said...

Dear James, I wish you a Merry Christmas! May the Force be with you and your family! Praise to your muses and the source of Hippocrene!
Vladimir

Anonymous said...

Please, James, just keep writing stories. Don't worry about counting the words.

John

Nik Morton said...

Congratulations. My first typewriter was a Remington portable and it lasted me until the Amstrad came along!