Sunday, July 10, 2022

Sunday Morning Bonus Pulp: Ten Detective Aces, November 1936


That's a nice dramatic cover by an artist I'm not familiar with, William E. Luberoff. TEN DETECTIVE ACES was a solid pulp, although it never reached the heights of BLACK MASK or DIME DETECTIVE. The contents of this issue include stories by top-notch pulpsters such as Frederick C. Davis (a Moon Man story), Philip Ketchum writing as Carl McK. Saunders (a Captain John Murdock story), Roger Torrey, Joe Archibald, and Phil Richards, who I remember from writing the great Kid Calvert series over in WESTERN ACES. Also on hand are the more obscure Robert S. Fenton, Albert Barry, Marion Gailor Squire, and Harry Adler. Albert Barry has only one story in the FMI, and when I see that I always wonder if it was a one-shot house-name, but I'm sure there were plenty of writers who managed one or two sales in their career and that was it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Any chance that it could be Albert Barry Scobee?

James Reasoner said...

I didn't know that was Scobee's first name. I'd say that's a distinct possibility. By the way, Scobee is the only pulp writer I know of who has a mountain named after him: Barry Scobee Mountain, near Fort Davis, Texas. I remember being surprised when I was driving past it and first saw the sign.