Saturday, May 22, 2021

Saturday Morning Western Pulp: Complete Cowboy Novel Magazine, February 1950


Now that's a close range shootout in this cover by A. Leslie Ross for COMPLETE COWBOY NOVEL MAGAZINE. The complete novel in this issue is by Cliff Campbell, a common house-name in the Western and detective pulps edited by Robert W. Lowndes, and I have no idea who actually wrote "Six-Gun Harvest". Could've been Lowndes himself, I suppose. There are only two other stories in this issue, by James A. Hines and Ward Raymond, and neither of those names are the least bit familiar to me. With all that yellow, red, and blue, though, and its dramatic composition, this is certainly an eye-catching cover.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

James,

Apropos of nothing except the topic of westerns, I just got back to reading Brian Garfield’s Jeremy Six series with the fourth one, The Proud Riders.
And it’s so well wrought, the prose is so crisp and clear, that I have to wonder why it took me so long to get back to his stuff.

I remember you posting something about the first Jeremy Six book some time ago and wondered if you’d read any of Garfield’s work since.

John Hocking

James Reasoner said...

Unfortunately, I haven't. One of many things I intend to get around to right away, or at least soon, and then don't. If I had more than the attention span of a six-week-old puppy, I might be dangerous. But I own the e-book of the second Jeremy Six novel, THE NIGHT IT RAINED BULLETS, and will move it to the top of my Kindle library right now.