Saturday, August 31, 2019

Saturday Morning Western Pulp: Sure-Fire Western, March 1937


Here are our old friends the Stalwart Cowboy, the Wounded Old Geezer, and the Angry Redhead (not totin' a gun this time) on an issue of SURE-FIRE WESTERN, a Western pulp from Ace that lasted only a dozen issues in the mid-to-late Thirties. The cover, which I like, is by an artist I'm not familiar with, William Luberoff. Most of the issue is taken up by the novel "Canyon of Golden Skulls" by Harry Sinclair Drago. This novel got an abridged digest reprint in the Western Novel Classic line, under Drago's most common pseudonym, Bliss Lomax. There's also one short story in this issue by little-known author R. Craig Christiansen. Every time I see one of these covers, I think I'm going to write that trio, and that scene, into a book, but so far I haven't gotten around to it.

2 comments:

Renaissance Women said...

I can't wait to read that scene when you get it written.

Every time I see these covers, I think of my maternal grandfather. A nice memory. Thank you.

Doris

Anonymous said...

You have to add a cat and make it four characters.

Nothing going to sell these days unless it's got a cute cat in it.

Denny Lien