Saturday, January 05, 2019

New Blog About Northerns


Author G.W. Thomas has started a new blog called NORTH-WEST ADVENTURES, all about Northerns, a genre that's at least a cousin to Westerns, but taking place in Canada or Alaska, featuring Mounties, prospectors, fur trappers, etc. I've posted many covers from the Northern pulps and really enjoyed the ones I've read. On this blog, Thomas discusses the genre, the authors and their books, and even reprints some public domain comics and stories. I'll be making it a regular stop on my blog rounds. You can check it out here.

5 comments:

Peter Brandvold said...

Thanks, James. Being THE SCOURGE OF THE NORTH COUNTRY, I'm understandably interested!

Bob Byrne said...

Looking forward to your thoughts on Frederick Nebel.

jrlindermuth said...

Glad to hear this. Jack London's tales--no matter where they were set--were always a favorite. But stories by the like of Rex Beach, James Oliver Curwood and others of the Northern school also have brought me joy over the years. And, who can forget Sergeant Preston on radio?

James Reasoner said...

Pete,
I think it's gonna be a race to see which of us writes a book with a character known as the Scourge of the North Country first.

Bob,
Several years ago I did a series of posts about the stories in FORBIDDEN RIVER, a Black Dog Books collection of some of Nebel's Northerns. I loved them (but I love just about everything I've read by Nebel). You can find the posts by searching the book's title on the blog.

John,
As I mentioned on Facebook, I really need to read something by Beach and Curwood. I don't remember hearing any of the Sergeant Preston radio shows, but I have seen numerous episodes of the TV version.

Dark Worlds Club said...

Thanks for the shout out, James. I hope the blog gets people reading Northerns again.