Saturday, August 31, 2013

Writing Update

Historically August has been one of my best months, but in recent years, not so much. My theory is that because we usually go to the coast in June or July, and I work so hard and produce so many pages down there that it wears me out for the rest of the summer. That seems to have held true this year, because my total for August was 352 pages, or just a little under half of what I did in June. Granted, June was my all-time best month, but still . . . I spent a solid week this month working on writing-related projects that didn't produce any new pages, and that hurt my total as well. But there's no doubt I've slowed down, and it looks unlikely that I'll hit 6000 pages this year, as I was trying to do. Of course, there's a good reason I've made it to 6000 only twice in my career: it's hard.

I'm not going to obsess about this, though. (Too late!) I'm not as far behind on my schedule as I've been at times in the past, so I'll just keep doing the best I can and go on.

3 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

Just 352 pages. Just. Sounds like you should be whipped with some strands of spaghetti or something. :)

Graham Powell said...

Out of curiosity, how many words are on one of your typical manuscript pages?

James Reasoner said...

180 to 200, depending on how much dialogue there is.