Saturday, October 15, 2016

Saturday Morning Western Pulp: Ranch Romances, 2nd May Number, 1954


I was sort of in a RANCH ROMANCES mood because I just read a short novel by Livia that could have appeared in that pulp during the Fifties. I'll have more to say about that later when it comes out, but for now I was looking at cover scans on the Fictionmags Index when this one, uh, jumped out at me, I guess you could say. Sam Cherry could paint some beautiful women, and he certainly did on this cover.

But what's inside the magazine, you ask? Stories by Walker A. Tompkins, Roe Richmond, Chandler Whipple, Ben Frank, house-name Sam Brant, a couple of authors I haven't heard of, and two female Western authors, Jeanne Williams and Teddy Keller. I met Jeanne Williams at some of the WWA conventions twenty or more years ago and have read some of her novels. Excellent writer. Don't know that I've read anything by Teddy Keller, but I should. Of the others, Tompkins is always good and Richmond sometimes is. From what I've read, the Fifties is my favorite era for RANCH ROMANCES.

1 comment:

Stephen Mertz said...

Ah. Jeanne Williams. Only met her once. She lived down the road apiece and we did a panel together once at a regional library function. A very nice lady and I regret not accepting her invite to stay in touch. She was married to the prolific John Creasey, whose work I'd read. Jeanne spoke of to me of the contrast of being a slow writer married to a man capable of writing 2-3 novels per month.