Thursday, November 08, 2012

Robert B. Parker's Lullaby - Ace Atkins



I have to admit, I stopped reading Robert B. Parker's novels several years ago, and as a result I missed his last few Spenser novels. I may have to go back and catch up on them, because I just read ROBERT B. PARKER'S LULLABY, the first Spenser pastiche by Ace Atkins, and it's given me a taste for the series again.

I've never read anything else by Atkins, although I've been meaning to. Turns out he was a good choice to continue this series, because LULLABY really does read a lot like Parker's work, especially the earlier books in the series. Spenser is hired, sort of, by a 14-year-old girl to find out who really murdered her mother four years earlier. A family friend was convicted of the crime and is in prison, but the girl doesn't believe he's guilty and wants her mom's real killers brought to justice. Of course, things don't turn out to be quite as simple as they appear at first.

The plot and the way Atkins handles it are very Parker-like. He has a great handle on the characters, too, especially Spenser and Hawk. The main differences are stylistic and pretty minor. Atkins' paragraphs are a little longer than Parker's. There's not quite as much dialogue. The banter doesn't seem quite as witty to me, but it's still pretty darned witty. If this book had been published under Parker's name, there's a good chance I would have accepted it as his work, although I should point out that I've always been just a casual reader of Parker's books and hardly qualify as a scholar on such matters.

The main thing to say about LULLABY is that I liked it and I'm looking forward to reading any other Spenser novels that Atkins writes.

7 comments:

pattinase (abbott) said...

His books under his own name are great too.

James Reasoner said...

I've been meaning to read some of them. They sound like the sort of books I'd really like.

Cullen Gallagher said...

Ace's THE RANGER and THE LOST ONES are my favorites of his books. I have LULLABY at home but haven't read it yet.

michael said...

I love his Nick Travers mysteries rooted in the musical history of the deep south. By the way, he's a Pullitzer winner.

Walker Martin said...

Michael, according to Atkins website, he did not win the Pulitzer Prize but was nominated for the prize while working as a newspaper reporter.

I always very wary about series that are continued by another writer but Atkins certainly has a reputation of being an outstanding author.

michael said...

Thanks Walker; my mistake.

Kent Morgan said...

The Nick Travers series was excellent and I have enjoyed his historical crime novels also. You might enjoy Infamous based on the kidnapping of an Oklahoma oil baron by Machine Gun Kelly. I was a big Spenser fan until Parker started writing short books that he appeared to phone in, which his publisher filled out with wide margins and larger than normal type. Atkins did a good job with Lullaby and I'll read his next Spenser novel.