Saturday, June 11, 2022

Saturday Morning Western Pulp: Cowboy Stories, July 1937


Since Robert E. Howard Days is going on in Cross Plains this weekend, I thought it appropriate to post the cover of one of the Western pulps in which Howard's work appeared. In this case it's the July 1937 issue of COWBOY STORIES, which includes Howard's Buckner J. Grimes story "Knife-River Prodigal". This is one of the stories that sold after Howard's death and appeared almost exactly a year later. I don't know the cover artist, but it's certainly a great example of how red and yellow dominated Western pulp covers. Also in this issue are Samuel Taylor, Bruce Douglas, W.D. Hoffman, and an author billed as Chief Henry Red Eagle, with a story called "Wampum Swamp 'Em", which makes me think it's probably not a serious examination of Indian life in the Old West.

2 comments:

SangorShop said...

Chief Henry Red Eagle was well enough known to have his own Wikipedia page. An actor in both films and for Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show. His career as a writer was from 1911-1938. Was he any good as a writer? I dunno, I havent read any.

James Reasoner said...

Thanks for that info. I had no idea about Chief Henry Red Eagle. I haven't read any of his stories, either.