Saturday, March 14, 2020

Saturday Morning Western Pulp: Big-Book Western Magazine, September 1948


Look out behind you, Stalwart Red-Shirted Hero! Is that a Robert Stanley cover? I'm not sure, but I think it might be. I am sure that there are some fine Western pulpsters in this issue of BIG-BOOK WESTERN, including Walt Coburn, Tom Roan, Tom W. Blackburn, C. William Harrison, Max Kesler, and John Jo Carpenter (John Reese). I can't think of a better compliment for a Western writer than to be considered a Top-Hand Author. And "When the Gun-Wolves Howl!" may be one of the best Western pulp story titles ever.

5 comments:

Joe said...

Was the The Lone Star Ranger serialized? That was an very enjoyable yarn. Duane the outlaw hero.

James Reasoner said...

Well, yes and no. THE LONE STAR RANGER was cobbled together by the publisher from two different novels that were published in THE ARGOSY and ALL-STORY CAVALIER WEEKLY. This blog post does a good job of explaining the whole thing:

https://zanegreyandme.wordpress.com/2014/07/02/the-lone-star-ranger-uabridged-last-of-the-duanes-1915/

Daniel Boyd said...

Yeah, top-hand authors get the bunks with a view and valet horse-parking.

Richard Moore said...

Looks like a Robert Stanley cover to me. I've seen that face on many paperback covers.

James Reasoner said...

Yeah, so have I. If a character reminds me of Mike Shayne on a Dell Mapback cover, that nearly always means it's a Robert Stanley.