Friday, March 06, 2020

Forgotten Books: The Second Longest Night - Stephen Marlowe


’Way back when I was in high school, I read one of the later books in the Chester Drum series by Stephen Marlowe, and I also read DOUBLE IN TROUBLE, the famous crossover novel that features both Chester Drum and Shell Scott, co-authored by Marlowe and Richard S. Prather. I thought both of them were okay, but I never felt compelled to read any more of the Chester Drum novels.

It’s a well-regarded series, though, so I finally decided after all this time to try another one. I started with the first novel in the series, THE SECOND LONGEST NIGHT, published by Gold Medal in 1955.

Chester Drum is a private eye, or confidential investigator, as he calls himself, in Washington D.C. In this novel, he’s hired by a senator (who happens to be his former father-in-law) to find out if the senator’s daughter (Drum’s ex-wife) actually committed suicide, as the official verdict has it, or if something more sinister happened. This leads him into a case involving murder, family drama, and international intrigue, and takes him to Venezuala for part of the book. (From what I understand, most of the novels take Drum to foreign countries.)

THE SECOND LONGEST NIGHT is very well-written, with vivid settings and some gritty action scenes. The characters are interesting, although Drum is a rather dour protagonist. He makes with a wisecrack every now and then, but mostly he’s as wooden as a stick. The fatal flaw in this novel is that the plot is so easy to figure out. The murderer might as well be wearing a blinking neon sign.

Because of that, I can give this book only a qualified recommendation. I liked enough about it that I’ll probably read another one in the series (I own most of them), but I won’t be in any hurry to do so.

5 comments:

August West said...

An acquaintance of mine once told me that the best Stephen Marlowe novel he read was BLONDIE BAIT. I'm always hunting for a reasonably priced copy and still looking. (Published by Avon in 1959.)

James Reasoner said...

I don't know of a Stephen Marlowe book called BLONDIE BAIT. Maybe he was thinking of BLONDE BAIT by Ed Lacy, published by Zenith in 1959. Just from the looks of the cover, it could have been an Avon.

https://jamesreasoner.blogspot.com/2012/11/forgotten-books-blonde-bait-ed-lacy_23.html

August West said...

James: It is AVON T330
https://www.mbhrarebooks.com/pages/books/58646/stephen-marlowe/blonde-bait

James Reasoner said...

I've never seen that one. Great cover! Thanks for the heads-up. The copies available on-line are out of my price range, too.

Glen Davis said...

The series gets better as Drum starts to travel, but he's always a little dour.