Monday, January 23, 2012

"The Galvanized Yankees of Company D" - Troy D. Smith



The Galvanized Yankees were Confederate prisoners who volunteered to serve with the U.S. Army on the frontier during the Civil War. I researched and used this setting in some of the novels in my Civil War Battles series and have been interested in the period ever since. Troy Smith mixes battlefield action, interesting characters, and dialogue that rings true to produce a compelling story with a poignant ending. "The Galvanized Yankees of Company D" is top-notch historical fiction.

6 comments:

Suresh Ramasubramanian said...

on the "other side" - northerners who fought for the south - there's bernard cornwell (the sharpe novels guy)'s "copperhead" series.

Hard edged, bloody action. Somehow wasn't as successful as his Sharpe novels about the napoleonic wars.

Troy D. Smith said...

Thanks for the kind words, James.

Anonymous said...

James-
I'm half finished with the Wagons West Series and would love to get the whole series in eBook format for my new Kindle. Is there any hope that these will be released? I love your work and will eventually read all your work. Thanks Malia.wilson@cox.net

James Reasoner said...

Suresh,
I've read Cornwell's Copperhead books and liked them quite a bit. Haven't dived into the Sharpe books yet.

Troy,
You're quite welcome. I'll be reading more of your work soon.

Malia,
Unfortunately the rights to those books are in somewhat of a tangle. I don't really have any control over what happens with them, but I hope the series is available for the Kindle sometime in the future, too.

ChuckTyrell said...

Bernard Cornwell is my model for well-written historical fiction. All his Sharpe novels. All his Alfred the Great novels. Would that I could write as well. (Sharpe on British TV is good, too)

Suresh Ramasubramanian said...

cornwell is well .. good, hard edged pulp but at least 75 pages too long. If he'd stick to pulp length formats he'd be brilliant.

When it comes to historical fiction, especially from the napoleonic wars (though I'd go out on a limb and say all historical fiction) Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey-Maturin novels .. all 20 of them (plus the unfinished 21st which was published in manuscript form) are by far the best.