Friday, May 27, 2011

Forgotten Books: Negative of a Nude - Charles E. Fritch

(This post originally ran in slightly different form on July 2, 2005.)


Charles E. Fritch was my editor at MIKE SHAYNE MYSTERY MAGAZINE for several years and was the one who asked me to take over writing all the Mike Shayne novellas. This was the first regular writing job I ever had, and I've always been grateful to Chuck for the opportunity.


NEGATIVE OF A NUDE is half of an Ace Double (TILL DEATH DO US PART by Louis Trimble is on the other side) and as far as I know the only book Chuck did for Ace. It features private eye Mark Wonder, who is hired to recover some blackmail photos and along the way finds himself trying to solve the murder of an old enemy of his so that the killing won't be pinned on him.


At first the story is told in a light, breezy style reminiscent of Richard S. Prather, and Fritch does light and breezy just fine. But then he springs some surprises that put a much darker face on things and elevate this book from a romp to something richer and deeper. The plot also becomes surprisingly complex for a book that probably clocks in at 40,000 words or less. All in all, an excellent hardboiled private eye yarn.

4 comments:

David Cranmer said...

Are your Mike Shayne novellas available?

Anonymous said...

And an excellent Robert Maguire cover. That thing just bleeds noir.

John Hocking

James Reasoner said...

David,
No, I sold all rights to those stories to MSMM and I don't know who controls those rights now. If I did, I'd put them up on Amazon for the Kindle. Maybe someday.

John,
You betcha. Great cover.

David Cranmer said...

Somebody is holding onto a small mint there. I will check eBay in the meantime and see if I can find some old issues for sale.