Monday, October 17, 2005

Ed

Just say the name "Ed" and chances are that most of the people in this end of the writing world will know immediately who you're talking about. There's a distinct possibility that without Ed Gorman I wouldn't even be in the writing business anymore. Time and time again he's helped me get work, usually when I really needed it to keep going. His old Ed's Place was the first blog I ever read. And then there are all the great books and stories he's written, several of which are on the shelf right beside me as I write this.

Now Ed says he's closing down his blog because of his health problems. I believe him, but like Bill Crider, I also believe that Ed will be back. Anything else is just unacceptable. So go read Ed's final post (for now) and then keep this fine writer -- and even better man -- in your thoughts in the days and weeks to come. I know I will.

1 comment:

Cap'n Bob said...

I replied to Bill's post about this and I'm glad you mentioned that beside being a fine writer with a unique voice, Ed's just plain wonderful as a human being. Once, when I typically made a damn fool of myself in a way that could have left him angry at me, he brushed off my idiocy with total magnamity. That took a big man with a big heart, I thought. And I've come to learn that that describes Ed perfectly.