Monday, February 10, 2014

Monday Morning Digest Magazine: Manhunt, January 1953


This is the first issue of the iconic crime fiction magazine, and it's also an issue I used to own. I read it about twenty years ago. And what an issue it is, with part one of a serial by Mickey Spillane and stories by William Irish (Cornell Woolrich), Kenneth Millar (better known as Ross Macdonald), a Shell Scott story by Richard S. Prather, Evan Hunter, and Frank Kane. Oddly enough, considering that all-star line-up, the story I remember liking the best was a novelette by the now largely forgotten Floyd Mahannah. But here's what really interests me about this issue now: there's another story, and it's by none other than Charles Beckman Jr., also known as Charles Boeckman, still alive, still writing, and a pulp legend I'm proud to call my friend, something that never would have entered my mind when I read this issue all those years ago.

6 comments:

Tom Johnson said...

I still have about a dozen issues, including the first four issues. Plus a couple duplicates I would love to swap for issues I don't have.

Walker Martin said...

MANHUNT is one of my favorite digest fiction magazines. I started buying it in 1956 as a kid mainly because of the sexy covers but I had to stop because I couldn't afford both the SF and crime magazines.

I had a full set of all the issues which I sold when I retired but I immediately missed the magazine and I was lucky enough to buy another set.

I told about my collecting adventures with MANHUNT at http://mysteryfile.com/blog/?p=11822

August West said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
August West said...

I have two copies of this edition and many others. I believe the Spillane story was serialized in the first four editions. I remember liking it a lot.

IMO, Manhunt was the best of the crime fiction digests.

Ed Gorman said...

Now THAT is a sexy cover. What an issue, what a magzine, what a legend.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.