Monday, September 17, 2012

New This Week




Three new print books came in this week, all of them review copies. BULLETS AND LIES by Robert J. Randisi is the first book in Bob's new Western series about detective Talbot Roper. This is a spin-off from the Gunsmith series but is being published under the Randisi name instead of the J.R. Roberts pseudonym, and the books are traditional Westerns, not Adult Westerns. I'm really looking forward to reading this one. From Stark House comes the latest A.S. Fleischman double volume, which includes the previously unpublished mystery novel THE SUN WORSHIPPERS and Fleischman's only non-juvenile Western, YELLOWLEG, on which the Sam Peckinpah film THE DEADLY COMPANIONS was based. I have the DVD of THE DEADLY COMPANIONS around here somewhere, but I've never watched it. I may remedy that after I've read the book. Also from Greg Shepard but under a new imprint, Shepardson Books, is CALIFORNIA CORNERSTONE, a collection of newspaper columns about historical events in California that were written by Greg's dad Bill Shepard. I'm a history buff from 'way back, so I'm looking forward to this one as well.


I also picked up a few used books this week. The first one, SECRET SEA by Robb White, I bought simply because I couldn't resist that great cover. It's a young adult adventure novel from 1947. I recall reading other books by Robb White that I enjoyed when I was a kid. I suspect that this one will hold up for me. And if it doesn't, that's still a great cover.


Then we have PERFECT PIGEON, a 1962 Gold Medal caper novel from the old pulpster and paperbacker Richard Wormser. I don't recall ever seeing this book before or reading anything about it, but everything I've ever read by Wormser was entertaining. And it's a Gold Medal.


Finally, THE POWER OF BLACKNESS by Jack Williamson, a science fiction adventure novel that appears to have been a fix-up job combining novelettes from F&SF, GALAXY, and AMAZING. Fix-up or not, it's a science fiction novel by Jack Williamson that I didn't have, so no way was I leaving it in the store.

On the e-book front, I have two new ones to report, both reprints by veteran pulpster Charles Boeckman writing as Charles Beckman, Jr.: a noir crime novel called HONKY-TONK GIRL and a Western, SAGE BRUSH AND SIX-GUNS. They sound like my kind of books, and I'm looking forward to reading them.



7 comments:

pattinase (abbott) said...

What an eclectic mix!

Ed Gorman said...

The Wormser is one of his best, a good idea made even better by strong writing.

Charles Gramlich said...

I've got "The secret Sea" too. Haven't read it yet but will do so.

Jerry House said...

I bought SECRET SEA in the sixth grade from the TAB Book Club (remember them?). I can't rememder anything about the book now, but I do remember that I had to choose between SECRET SEA and the Ace edition of STAR BRIDGE by Williamson and Gunn. Had I but known.

Paul Bishop said...

Thx for the tip on Honky Tink Girl ...

Rittster said...

Robb White wrote a bunch of William "King of the Gimmicks" Castle movies--13 Ghosts, House on Haunted Hill, The Tingler, a few others. I think he owned his own island at one point.

Anonymous said...

I have a different Robb White around the place. I've been meaning to read it. Look forward to your reviews.

Ed Lynskey