Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang



Considering the subject of several recent posts on this blog, you probably won't be surprised to know that this movie had me from the opening credit that reads "Based in Part Upon the Novel BODIES ARE WHERE YOU FIND THEM by Brett Halliday". I remember this novel fairly well, and a lot of the basic plot of KISS KISS BANG BANG comes from it. But the rest of it is entirely its own brilliant lunacy.

The plot of this private eye movie is almost too complicated to describe, so I won't try. But it manages to be both hilarious and tragic, often within seconds of each other, and has some of the best dialogue and action scenes I've run across in a long time. I'm not a fan of either Robert Downey Jr. or Val Kilmer, but both are very good in this film, especially Downey. This is the best movie I've seen in I don't know how long.

(Aside for those who have already seen it: While we were watching it, I turned to Livia and said, "You know, if those Johnny Gossamer books were real, I'd have them on my shelves." She nodded and said, "I know.")

3 comments:

Carl V. Anderson said...

I was wondering how this was. Thought it looked interesting when the trailer was out. I'll add it to my Netflix list.

Unknown said...

This arrived at the Crider manse yesterday in the Netflix envelope. I hope to see it tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

My favorite movie of the year, thus far. Watched it twice in the last week and discovered, on second viewing, that the plot actually seems to make sense. (The DVD's commentary track -- Downey, Kilmer and writer/director Shane Black trying to one-up each other -- can be a hoot.) But Mr. R: How could you write about this pic and NOT mention Michelle Monahan???