Saturday, March 25, 2023

Saturday Morning Western Pulp: Star Western, October 1943


I feel like I should know who painted this cover, but I don't. Maybe one of you can help me out. STAR WESTERN was always one of the top pulps in the genre. This issue features six novelettes by Walt Coburn, Harry F. Olmsted, Les Savage Jr., Tom Roan, William R. Cox, and Fred Gipson. That's right, Mr. Old Yeller his own self, who wrote a bunch of stories for the Western pulps. At one point, I was talking to an academic press about editing a collection of them, but nothing ever came of it. That's a great bunch of writers in this issue of STAR WESTERN, which was nothing unusual back in those days.

2 comments:

Robert Deis (aka "SubtropicBob") said...

Cover by Sam Cherry -- which is why it looks familiar to you.

James Reasoner said...

Thanks, Bob!