Friday, November 18, 2022

The Angel of Terror - Edgar Wallace


Over the past few days, I’ve been discussing various aspects of British thriller fiction with a friend of mine, which made me think about the fact that I’d never read anything by Edgar Wallace, despite being aware of his work for at least 50 years. Since I have several e-book editions of his novels, I decided to remedy that and picked one at random to read: THE ANGEL OF TERROR, originally published in 1922.

Set in London and on the French Riviera, this is the story of a beautiful young heiress, the lawyer who wants to protect her, the retired British soldier hired to be her bodyguard, and the despicable villains who want to murder her so they can inherit a fortune. Plus a few assorted con artists and an escaped lunatic.

This isn’t a mystery at all; the reader is fully aware the whole time of who the villains are and is privy to all their sinister plans, which get really sinister at times, including a plot to infect the poor girl with smallpox. Despite the grisly nature of some of the goings-on, the writing is, for the most part, fairly genteel and restrained. Thankfully, there are a few welcome moments of blood and thunder.

My reaction to this one was really mixed. A lot is going on, and the book is well-paced. There’s a nice sense of “one damned thing after another”. The dialogue is top-notch. The villains are thoroughly evil, the hero stalwart.

But the heiress is annoyingly dense, even for 1922. Even though there’s no real mystery, there is a big plot twist near the end, but unfortunately, it was obvious as soon as Wallace laid the groundwork for it early on. And the ending is, well, pretty unsatisfying, to the point that I looked at the Kindle and said, “Wait. What?”

All that said, I actually did enjoy the book and found myself wanting to get back to it to find out what was going to happen. There’s something to be said for sheer storytelling ability, and Wallace seems to have had it. I have no idea how THE ANGEL OF TERROR is regarded among his body of work, but I liked it enough that I want to read more. I hope whichever book I try next will be a little better, though.

Since I read an e-book version, I looked online for a cover scan. The one above is the best I found. Most were pretty sedate or didn’t fit the book at all.

6 comments:

Fenton Hardy, world’s worst detective said...

Many years ago I read probably a half dozen or so Wallace works. I really enjoyed many of the German thrillers “based” on Wallace (though the basis turned out very tenuous). Bottom line, sedate is the word. Well written but not very interesting. King Kong is the exception but not sure how much of that he wrote.

Jeff Meyerson said...

I had that exact Pan edition - never read it of course - as well as many other Wallaces. I have read some, including some short stories.

Chap O'Keefe said...

Edgar Wallace was hugely influential. He shaped British (world?) thriller fiction for decades during his life and after his death in 1932. I wonder how much light fiction first published a hundred years ago is still being read today ... and encouraging an informed and successful writer of our own times not only to review it but want to read more.

Chap O'Keefe said...

A recent, May 2022 assessment of Wallace ("The Forgotten King of Mystery") and his work can be found here: https://murder-mayhem.com/edgar-wallace. I would disagree with Harry Pearson's assertion that after Wallace's death "he disappeared like a puff of tobacco smoke". In the late 1940s, the '50s, and early '60s his books were still to be found in every UK bookstore and library, a few in twenty-something printings. Today the writer of thriller/romance/Western fiction is lucky to achieve three: a first edition, a large-print reissue, and an ebook. The last will be lost in the oft-remarked tsunami of poorly or unedited "originals" on a retailer's vast, ever-expanding website; the share of income reaching the author will scarcely pay for the effort of text reformatting and acquisition of a cover. No Edgar Wallace millions and high living!

Paul Dellinger said...

Didn't Wallace help create the first movie version of "King Kong"? I know he didn't write the original novel tie-in but he and Merian C. Cooper share screen credit.

Jerry House said...

I read KING KONG while I was in junior high and I was at the right age to be thrilled. while in college I read THE FOUR JUST MEN and was less than thrilled. Since then I've only read one ofhi sci-fi/disaster stories and some of the J. G. Reeder and Sanders of the River tales. I liked the Reeder and Sanders stories but, at my age and at this time, I fear Wallace is best left to very small doses.