Monday, August 30, 2021

The Shadowed Circle #1 - Steve Donoso, ed.


Regular readers of this blog know that I’m a long-time fan of The Shadow and have reviewed a number of the pulp novels over the years. I recently had a chance to read THE SHADOWED CIRCLE #1, an old-fashioned fanzine devoted to the character, and I had a great time with it.

Edited and published by Steve Donoso, with art and design by John Sies and assistance from deputy editor Rebecca Robinson, THE SHADOWED CIRCLE #1 is an impressive publication, starting off with a fine cover by John Jamilkowski. The contents include an essay by Will Murray about some of the female villains faced by The Shadow; this piece was squeezed out of the reprints from Sanctum Publications by a lack of space, and it’s great to have it available. As the leading expert on The Shadow, Murray’s work is always informative and entertaining.

John L. French takes a look at the Shadow novels by Bruce Elliott, who replaced longtime author Walter B. Gibson for a while late in the pulp’s run. These stories by Elliott are almost universally reviled, with a common criticism being that the character doesn’t even seem like himself. French comes up with an intriguing theory to explain that. I’ve never read one of Elliott’s Shadow novels, and I really ought to. I’ve read some of his other mystery novels that I liked quite a bit.

Craig McDonald contributes an article about the only villains who faced The Shadow in four separate novels, Shiwan Khan (created by Walter B. Gibson) and Benedict Stark (created by Theodore Tinsley, who backed up Gibson on the series for several years). I’ve read at least one of the Shiwan Khan novels, but I don’t think I’ve read all of them. I’ve never read any of the novels featuring Benedict Stark, and McDonald’s excellent article makes me think I need to do that, too. Ah, if only there was more time in the day!

There’s also an interview with James Patterson, co-author of the recent Shadow novel that puts a whole new spin on the character, and a lengthy review of that book by Henry Lopez. I’ve never met Patterson, although I’m acquainted with some of his co-authors, but everyone I know who has met him seems to think he’s a wonderful guy. That’s certainly the way he comes across in this interview, very affable, whether I agree with his take on The Shadow or not. (Brief personal story: I have been in the same room with Patterson several times without actually meeting him. At a mystery convention a few years ago, I happened to be in the hotel lobby at six o’clock in the morning, and there he was, sitting in a chair by himself reading a newspaper. I started to go up and introduce myself to him, but then I thought, no, he looked so grateful to be just sitting there with nobody bothering him, I couldn’t bring myself to do it. So I went on my way.)

Rounding out this issue are articles about Gibson’s work on a Batman story (his last published work), being a young fan of a pulp hero, short films featuring The Shadow from the early Thirties (I’d never even heard of these!), cover artwork from the pulp, and zombies in the radio show. It’s a very nice variety of material and all well-written and interesting.

Fanzines such as this have really fallen by the wayside with the rise of the Internet, but I read a bunch of them over the years, especially during the Seventies, Eighties, and Nineties. Reading THE SHADOWED CIRCLE #1 was a wonderful reminder of that time, as well as being an excellent publication in its own right. I had an absolutely wonderful time with it. It’s available on Amazon, or you can subscribe to it. All the details are available on the magazine’s Facebook page. If you’re a Shadow fan or a fan of pulp fiction in general, I give it a very high recommendation.

6 comments:

Spike said...

I love the Shadow but the Bruce Elliot ones I tried were just not good.

Back when John Olsen had all the Shadows on his web page, someone ran a program to determine how many times Joe Cardona is described as “swarthy”. Olsen seemed to think that was obsessive. I thought, my goodness Mr. Olsen, you have read every Bruce Elliot Shadow twice and you are calling someone obsessed about the Shadow.

Anonymous said...

Has Will Murray ever produced a list of his favorite Shadow novels?
I’ve read several and, while the Shadow himself is wonderful, found them overall to be less than gripping.

I’m fond of the hero pulps so I get the feeling that I’m missing out on something here.
I did read Zemba, often noted as one of the best of the series and Walter Gibson’s personal favorite, but found it… (forgive me) silly and ineffective.
Maybe I should just stick with the Spider, Secret Agent X and the Moon Man?

John Hocking

James Reasoner said...

I thought that Will had done such a list, but if so, I can't find it now. Maybe in THE DUENDE HISTORY OF THE SHADOW MAGAZINE, which is supposed to be reprinted fairly soon, I believe. However, I did find this discussion from the old alt.pulp newsgroup 20 years ago, in which a number of readers discuss their favorite Shadow novels.

https://groups.google.com/g/alt.pulp/c/qdwzS_Ya06g

Some titles I recall liking a lot are GANGDOM'S DOOM, THE BLACK HUSH, KINGS OF CRIME, THE MAN FROM SCOTLAND YARD, and SHADOW OVER ALCATRAZ. You might also enjoy THE SALAMANDERS, which was written when Gibson was under orders to make the novels more action-packed to match the appeal of The Spider.

https://jamesreasoner.blogspot.com/2018/08/forgotten-books-salamanders-maxwell.html

Keith Souter said...

A really interesting blog. I’ll get a copy of this as I've been a fan since ai was a kid and have read quite a few of The Shadow novels over the years, since the 60s. I also have several magic books by both Gibson and Elliot (it’s a lifelong hobby of mine and I’m a member of the British Ring of the International Brotherhood of Magicians). Bruce Elliot is much maligned for his Shadow novels, but I rate him highly as a magic inventor and magic writer. Indeed, I frequently go back to his books. In one of his book tests (a magic effect) he recommends using the Shadow novels. I remember reading that particular piece as a teenager and thinking ‘wow, he’s a magician and a writer!’ Both of them inspired me to keep up the magic hobby and to eventually become some sort of writer.

James Reasoner said...

I had no idea you were a magician, Keith. I've always been interested in magic but have no talent for it. Elliot's noir novel ONE IS A LONELY NUMBER is excellent and well worth reading.

Keith Souter said...

I have little talent for it either, Janes. That’s why it’s a hobby only. Thank you, I’ll seek it out.